Follow these these 5 tips to nail wearing your necklaces. Many women admire necklaces on other women and are inspired to get the same look. But when it comes to getting it, it’s not that easy. There are so many styles, colours, textures and sparkle to choose from, it’s hard to know where to start. The whole shopping experience may become overwhelming. Or you may even find a piece you absolutely love and buy it without giving it too much thought what you’re going to wear it, you just hope for the best.
It’s not until you get home and try it on with your outfits you realise something isn’t quite right. You can’t put your finger on it. Is it the colour, the length or maybe the style? Whatever the reason you are left wondering why it’s not working. You start telling yourself that you shouldn’t wear necklaces because they just don’t suit you. Disappointed you decide it’s not for you and put it in your jewellery box with all the other unworn pieces.
Avoid creating a collection of unused necklaces by using these simple tips.
1. Wearing Necklace and Necklines Guide
Most importantly you want to create harmony between your necklace and neckline by following or enhancing the shape of your top’s neckline.
2. Body Scale
Also take into consideration your own unique personal scale which is based on your bone structure, height and weight. I always grew up saying I was “big boned”, I now know it’s not actually the size of my bones but my height and body frame.
To roughly find out your scale without using a measuring tape try this.
Take your thumb and first finger and wrap around the wrist of the hand you write with. Place it just under your wrist bone and when you fingers:
- touch easily or overlap you are a finer scale and can wear delicate chains and pendants
- slightly touching then you’re medium scale, most people can wear this scale
- don’t touch and are 1 cm or more apart you’re also able to wear beautiful, bolder styles
3. Matching Necklaces to Necklines
Here’s a simple exercise to help sort through what you already have in your collection and what top you can put it with so you can start wearing in now.
- Lay all your necklaces out so you can easily see what you have, your bed or a table is ideal.
- Place all the same shape and styles into groups. Consider the length of necklace ie. does it a long chain, does it have a pendant and what shape is the pendant? Is the necklace a more fitted look that sits around your neck? Is it round or more angular in shape? Use the above picture for your guide.
- Select the tops you want to wear with your necklaces, try them on or place them next to each other to see how they look.
- Take a picture with your phone to remember which necklace goes with what top, this will save you loads of time.
A necklace is a great way of creating focus around your face, it draws the eye there. Perfect if you want to draw attention from another area of your body.
4. Getting Used to Wearing Necklaces
If you’re not in the habit of wearing a necklace they can take a bit of getting used to, especially if it’s the feature of your outfit. My simple tip here is to wear it around the house, don’t wait until you are going out. It’s a great way to feel comfortable with it on. You’ll catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror and start admiring your new look. Before too long wearing a necklace will feel like wearing your favourite earrings and will become your perfect accessory.
5. Mindful Shopping
Now you have your tips on how to select and wear your necklaces follow these Shopping Tips to avoid buying pieces you won’t wear. If you want to come along to an in person styling workshop you can get your ticket here Love The Way You Look I would love to see you there.
Yours in Style